Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Playing Catch Up!

Wow! So much has happened since our last post! I'm sorry for the slacking off, but things have been pretty hectic-I don't even know where to begin, so I'll just start with Thanksgiving. Greg's parents and sister, Adrienne, came to Atlanta to celebrate with us and meet Sawyer. We had a wonderful time visiting and relaxing. I think Sawyer was impressed with his grandparents and aunt from Utah, and they thought he was pretty fabulous too!
We hosted Thanksgiving at our house, so I got to cook the turkey. I've never cooked a turkey before, and was a little nervous, but I got some excellent advice from my mom and Sue. I was kinda grossed out by the instructions to "remove the packet of parts" and "lift back the neck flap to remove the neck", but I was brave and removed the extra turkey parts and it turned out really well. Here's a pic of Greg carving the beautiful bird.
This was the one day Greg felt really well while his parents were visiting. He's been feeling pretty wretched for a while now. We are hoping his doctor visit next week will shed some light on what's going on and get him feeling better.
While Greg's family was here, we had Sawyer's blessing. He was such a good baby during the blessing, even though he tooted at the very beginning of it! I don't think too many people heard him, and Greg gave him a beautiful blessing. I am going to take some pictures of Sawyer in his blessing outfit and post them later because I didn't get any of him that day.
Sawyer had his first month appointment on December 4. He weighed in at 12 pounds, 1 ounce, and he was 24 1/4 inches long. That is a 3 pound weight gain, and an extra 2 1/4 inches. He's getting so big! Here are a few pics of the darling little guy.

Greg's sister-in-law, Mandee, gave Sawyer these hospital scrubs so he can match his dad.
Here he is in his BYU spirit wear, sent to him from Auntie Alyssa.
The most traumatic part of this month happened a week ago when we were trying to take pictures for our Christmas card. In retrospect, Greg and I realize we were being pretty dumb and hope Sawyer can forgive us! We were posing Sawyer on a little sled in front of our fireplace. I moved away for a second so I wouldn't be in the shot, and he tipped over and burned his hand! We have gas logs and there is a glass "screen" in front of them, and his hand touched the screen, blistering it. Sawyer cried for about 30 minutes, I cried for about 3 hours, and still get a little teary-eyed when I think about it. Greg took care of Sawyer's hand and called a doctor that specializes in burns. He agreed to see Sawyer a few days after it happened. The burn doctor said he would be fine, and that he shouldn't even have a scar. I am so grateful he wasn't hurt more than what he was, but I feel absolutely awful that I broke my baby in the first 6 weeks he's been here! Thankfully, his hand hasn't seemed to bother him. He likes to whack people with it and suck on it. Here is one of the pics from the ill-fated photo shoot.
Here is an after shot-he doesn't look like he'll hold it against us for too long. Once he was bandaged up and fed, he was acting like nothing happened. I think I was still crying while Greg took this picture though. He looks so pitiful with his little bandage!
Sawyer has really started smiling a lot these past few weeks (despite all of his troubles-he's also been fighting a cold). I can't wait to get his dimply, gummy grin on camera, but when he sees the camera, he clams up. I tried taking some more pics for our Christmas card-no fires involved this time-but I haven't captured his smile yet. Y'all might get your Christmas card after Christmas, but here is a sneak peek of what I'm hoping to get-only smiling. Of course, he might refuse to smile if I keep dressing him up like this! I hope to update again before Christmas, but if I don't, I hope y'all all have a very Merry Christmas!

7 comments:

Alyssa said...

What is more damaging to your child when he looks back on all this as an adult: the fact that his hand was burnt or that he was in the snowman's outfit?
Don't be too sad. At least he is all right, right??

What an adorable little guy! When he gets older can I be the crazy "Aunt" who sends him a pink bunny pajama outfit (a la Christmas Story)?

BTW: I am soooo sooooo proud of the BYU gear! He wears it well :-) Plus I believe in brainwashing early on.

Good luck getting the perfect Christmas photo- but with a little one it may not happen.

Hugs and we should talk when I'm in the same time zone!!
Love
Alyssa

Becky J. said...

Oh, little Sawyer is so adorable! I love that red hair and I can't believe how big he is! What a cutie. I'm so sorry about his hand! I totally understand you crying for much longer than he did because I've totally done things like that before, but don't beat yourself up about it too much. Everyone does those things at some point. My first one with Sophie was cutting her little finger when I cut her nails one time. I couldn't stop crying! Those dang hormones!

I wish we could see you sometime, but I hope you have some great holidays! Love you!

Mrs. Fabulous said...

Oh my gosh, Mel, he is PERFECT! Don't beat yourself up about the burn. Glad to hear it will disappear!
Hope everyone is doing well!

Merry Christmas!

Love,
Heidi

Mrs. Fabulous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melissa said...

Thank you so much for the updates! I loved reading about all the latest!
He's so adorable, and all those pictures are great (the BYU jersey, the scrubs, the snowman outfit--all to die for!).
I think when they get hurt like that and then you look at them or take a picture, and they *smile* at you, it makes it all the more devastating (especially with a big ol' bandage). I'm not sure what that's all about, but I think kids are way more resilient and forgiving than we are as adults.
Great post! Love you! Enjoy the holidays.
PS: Please keep us posted on Greg's health stuff, too. I hope it's nothing serious.

Heather Alvarez said...

HEHEHEHE! I love the snowman... he'll be mad in a few years about that WAY more then the fire! But we're aloud to dress them up like that now... that's what us mommy's do!

Heather Alvarez said...

umm... so I need some new pics of your nugget!